Updated: May 27, 2020
Faith's Detox 'Beets n Greens' Kitchari
To make the kitchari base:
40g (¼ cup) split mung lentil
35g (¼ cup) white basmati rice 1½ cups (300ml) water or more ¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp ginger
½ tsp fenugreek
¼ tsp turmeric ¼ tsp salt ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the Beets N Greens topping:
1 medium organic beet, peeled and grated 1 sprig of beet greens, finely chopped
2 handfuls of spinach (adult spinach is best) 1 cup (250ml) of water
½ lime juice
¼ tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp dried curry leaves
1 tsp apple cider vinegar 1 small clove of garlic, chopped or grated 1 tbsp sesame oil Salt Black pepper Sprig of fresh fenugreek leaves and fresh coriander
Soak the mung lentils and rice overnight to soften and soak out the lecithins
1) Begin preparing the plain spiced kitchari first by rinsing the rice-lentils mix several times until water runs clear.
2) Add the rice-lentil mix to a pan with the water, cumin, ginger, fenugreek, turmeric, sat and pepper and bring to the boil.
3) Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, put the lid on and cook for 30 minutes. Once finished add a little salt and pepper and set aside.
4) To prepare the Beets n Green topping - add the sesame oil to a frying pan with the garlic, mustard seeds, and curry leaves and fry on high heat for 30 seconds
5) Add the grated beetroot and a tsp water and fry for another 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
6) Add the remaining water, the spinach, and the beet greens, bring to the boil and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7) Add the cider vinegar, lime juice, salt, the fenugreek, and the coriander, turn of an let the mixture sit for 1 minute (to gently cook the fresh herbs) before serving.
8) To serve, add the kitchari mix to a bowl and pour the beets and greens on top. Swirl the thick kitchari through the beets and greens for a mixture of textures. Add more fresh coriander, a last of lime, serve and enjoy (knowing you have done you body some good this March!)